Symptoms of Frostbite
If you notice any of the symptoms below, seek immediate medical treatment.
- Tingling, throbbing, redness, and/or swelling of affected area upon re-warming
Treatment for Frostbite
- Move the numb part of the body to increase blood supply.
- Go indoors immediately.
- Do not rub the affected area to warm it up, as it may cause tissue damage.
- Place the affected area in warm (not hot) water.
To prevent frostbite, follow these helpful tips:
- Avoid going outdoors or prolonged exposure during extreme cold weather. If you must be outdoors for any period of time, it is very important that you dress appropriately and have exposed skin covered.
- Prepare your home and car in advance for winter emergencies. Make sure you have snacks and warm clothing and blankets available in case of an emergency.
- Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of frostbite.
- Children at school bus stops, those who work outdoors, or outdoor winter enthusiasts should practice additional caution to make sure they are appropriately dressed and won’t remain outdoors for extended periods.