The poison ivy plant contains oil called urushiol. When your skin comes in contact with this, it "bonds" to your skin and can cause irritation. Poison ivy can be contracted by:
- Touching the poison ivy plant
- Touching clothing, objects, or pets that have come in contact with the plant
- Smoke from a burning poison ivy plant
- Within 1 to 2 days, a rash appears.
- Within 2 to 3 days, small blisters begin to form, usually causing the area to itch. Be cautious; bacteria under your nails can get into the blisters, causing infection.
Seek medical treatment if:
- You experience a fever over 100 degrees
- The rash covers a large area of your body
- The rash is near your mouth, eyes or genital area
- Pus is coming from the blisters
- After a few days, the rash does not get better
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a physician. It is information that is generally available. Each person has unique medical needs based on several factors including age, genetics, body type and build, medications,exposures to illness and medical history, to name a few. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition that you are experiencing. If you are suffering from a non-emergent medical situation, it is suggested that you visit the nearest MedExpress center or your family physician. If you believe you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911.